Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Overly Brown Bananas


One of Bob's pet peeves is the amount of food that spoils in our fridge. Or the amount of 'science experiments' growing in the fruit bowl. The fruit bowl is where we keep the fruit that still needs to ripen before putting in the fridge to spoil. So today, I got up with the birds (5am-ish) and baked some delicious muffins. Thus killing two birds with one stone. (Birds on my brain today!) I used up the very ripe bananas on the counter and I made Bob so happy. Bob was happy on two counts, 1) fresh muffins, 2) no rotten bananas on the counter that he has to mention e v e r y s i n g l e morning in his I think I am being funny tone until I do something about them.

Bob has a BB golf outing with his boys this weekend in Michigan, so I doubled the batch so he could take some with. (BB you ask? It has to do with a certain controversial cowboy movie...I mean, he 'says' he's going golfing.)

And a bonus, the recipe is kinda healthy.


Banana Berry Bombs, taken from Looneyspoons, lowfat food made fun!


1 Cup quick cooking oats
1/2 Cup each flour and whole wheat flour
1/4 Wheat Germ
1/2 Cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Cups mashed banana
2 egg whites
1 Cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen, I think the original recipe uses half blueberries, half raspberries.)

Makes about a dozen muffins.

Preheat oven to 375. Combine dry ingredients. Whisk in wet ingredients. Add the blueberries. Bake for 20 minutes. I used muffin papers, if you don't, be sure to spray the tins first. Enjoy!

No comments: