Wednesday, March 16, 2011

To our health

My husband is over 50.  52 to be exact and he is a bit of a drama king.  It keeps life interesting.  Now, don't get me wrong, he is not a whiner, or a complainer, he's just a bit over the top with things.  Let's say he is passionate. I think that is pretty politically correct and polite to boot.  And for the record I adore him.  He makes me laugh everyday and though his drama can be exasperating at times, I will say for the most part it teaches me.  Teaches me patience.  It has also made me wiser because quite often to dispel the fear of imminent death I have to do some research on the internet.  Facts are my weapons.

This is my second marriage.  After the divorce I prayed a lot.  Mostly for Him to step in to take control as my controlability (I do tend to make up my own words) was on a fast track to depression, slovenliness, depression, weight gain, depression and some low self esteem issues. I may have thrown in a prayer or two for patience as well...God sent me Bob.  Prayer is answered.

Last week Bob got some blood work done.  About three days later the nurse called with the results and amidst wails of "I'm going to die!" we learned Bob's cholesterol was a little high and that perhaps he should take a look at the zone diet.  (PC for you need to lose weight!) I tried to calmly explain that a few simple dietary exhanges, some walking and smaller portion sizes would be an easy fix for this...he started calling around for cemetary plots.

These are all things Bob and I have been working on for about a year.  We have trouble sticking to it.  I think the worst part is that I hate vegetables.  Hate 'em! Can eat a salad with the best of them but hate the idea of spending the time chopping the  ingredients for a salad so those don't get made too much. I never serve veggies.  In my house, if I cook, you get meat and carbs and dessert. If we go out I generally just eat dessert and french fries.  Can you hear my internal organs screaming for something healthy?

So, to save my husbands life and to live a healthier one I am trying to make more veggie dishes.  Most are disguised.  I have found some wonderful websites, have a collection of great cookbooks and rip pages from a lot of magazines.  Here is my effort for today.

Butternut Mac and Cheese.  Butternut squash, whole wheat pasta and cheese.  It's the same color as KRAFT.  I made it today as I have most Wednesdays off but will not bake it until tomorrow.  I got this recipe from 'A Veggie Venture'.  It's a great vegetable side dish resource on the web.  She also has variations of the Weight Watchers One Point soup which Bob has for lunch most days  I do not like the idea of cabbage in soup but I do sit next to him while he its it hoping for osmosis. After he it's eat I do not sit next to him as it can bring on a little gas.  Please don't recommend any gas removing products as Bob enjoys this expelling of air often exclaiming "Better out than in!" among many other clever sayings.

I am also going to make chicken fingers...this meal is kinda like a little kids paradise.  A propos no?

.

No comments: